Security cameras can easily be installed as a hindrance—something that tells would-be thieves or intruders that “we’re always watching.” Or you can leverage your security cameras to tighten your home’s safety measures.
Fortunately, today’s security cameras arrive armed with an array of additions all designed to provide comprehensive protection for your residence. Whether it’s recording capabilities and 2-way talk or infrared night vision and lightspeed motion detection, these tools empower you to utilize the most from video surveillance in Chicago.
How To Set Up Your Chicago Home Security Cameras For Maximum Protection
Placing your video surveillance on the ideal points around your home is the best place to begin with home security.. Indoor security cameras should be placed in high traffic areas like the living room or family room. It’s also a great move to install a camera near main entryways, stairs, or other common areas thieves would have to pass to get to the rest of your interior. Outdoor security cameras ideally provide a clear scene of your front door, drive, front and yards, garage, and other outdoor separated buildings, like sheds. And you can easily see a view of your front porch with a sleek doorbell camera.
There are places around your house that aren’t quite as vital to surveil such as bedrooms, bathrooms, and basements without a good entryway to the outside. Even if you have valuables in your bedroom, installing a camera in the bedroom can reduce your privacy. Feel free to add window or motion detectors if you want a measure of security in bedrooms.
Additions That Optimize Security Cameras
Component placement is only the foundation for utilizing the most from home security cameras in Chicago. The innovations shown below help to elevate security and enhance overall home safety.
- Motion detection: Get instant alerts on your phone the instant abnormal activity is sensed. You can also configure cameras to automatically start recording when movements are detected which will add to camera recording time.
- Cloud storage for smart clips: Program your home security cameras to record and store clips to the cloud for easy playback anytime.
- Two-way talk: Nearly all of modern security cameras feature a built-in microphone and speaker so you are able to chat with guests via the unit. With your security app, you can give the illusion that you’re inside or talk to your kids as they arrive back from school.
- Field of view: Field of view determines how much a camera can see, and gives you a more comprehensive view of an area. Look for cameras that provide a minimum of 120° angle lens or that are able to pan all the way around for optimum visibility.
- Dark vision: Double check that your security cameras come with either infrared or LED sensors that can pick up clips of night-time movement.
- Activity zones: To make security notifications more targeted, create activity zones. For example, you can tell your doorbell camera to inform you of activity happening on your yard or your porch and overlook animals passing or the sidewalk.
- Security app: app, like ADT Control®, allow you to view live camera feeds, move cameras, arm or disarm the system, and capture events. Most importantly, the app will send up-to-date alerts when the detect something unusual taking place around your property.
Get Your Security Cameras Today
Getting the most out of your home security cameras in Chicago is more simple. From ultra fast motion detection to 2-way audio, your home security system rises from just a deterrent to an unbreakable defense. Call (312) 319-8662 or complete the form below to get started building your security system today.