When you’re a homeowner, one of the most menacing perils to your property and family is the risk of fire. The U.S. Fire Administration calculated in 2019 that American homeowners suffered approximately $1.6 billion in costs due to unforeseen or negligent fires. Unfortunately, fires are sudden and are frequently stoppable -- with a little knowledge of where to look. And hopefully you have a monitored fire alarm that gets you aid immediately if you experience an incident.
What Causes House Fires In Chicago?
Fires can happen in any spot at any time in the home. However, you may reduce the threat of fire by taking countermeasures around the following items:
- Stoves and Ovens: Cooking is far and away the leading cause of a house fire in Chicago. Cooking-related blazes most often start when the kitchen is left ignored while making the meal. Water thrown on a grease fire will escalate a flame that would alternatively be contained.
- Candles: Going to sleep in a space with a lit candle is risky, even when you use a recessed candle holder. The flame is more than capable of catching a curtain on fire if left near a window, and animals can bump into candles while exploring. The National Fire Protection Association projects that just over 7,600 houses were damaged due to candle-related incidents between 2014-2018.
- Electrical wires: Faulty electrical circuit interrupters, “tamper-resistant” electrical outlets, aging or poorly set up lighting, and frayed lamp cords are all prone to sparks. Be careful not to overburden your outlets or plug any object in with exposed electrical components. On the off chance you hear a pop or detect smoke from the outlet, power down the breaker off ahead of checking it out.
- Space Heaters: Look past coiled space heaters because waste, like dust bunnies, paper or plastic scraps, or blankets can find their way in and catch fire. However, you need to make sure to monitor fan and ceramic space heaters for the entire duration of use.
- Cigarettes: Solely in 2014, U.S. fire departments came to more than 17,000 residence fires caused by smoking paraphernalia. So if you have a smoker who partakes inside, be certain they never fall asleep with a cigarette or lay in bed with one. And fully put out your paraphernalia before you throw it into a waste bin.
A Monitored Smoke Detector Will Brings Help Quickly When You Have A Fire
If a fire should start, you definitely want to have an early discovery system to alert your family members before it's too late. A traditional smoke alarm is adequate but can only alert you if smoke is in thick clouds. A cutting-edge fire alarm -- a security device that's tied to your home security network -- is powerful enough to discover both smoke and climbing heat and has more features to make sure everyone’s safety.
A monitored fire alarm has many ways it can inform you of smoke. Your alarms will notify you with a high-decibel siren and a notification to your smartphone. All the while, your ever-vigilant monitoring experts gets a hold of the fire department. And if you're ever somewhere in which you’re unable to get you your house when a fire starts, you can have peace of mind that your monitoring agent can help coordinate communication between you and the fire department.
Utilize Monitored Fire Alarms From Secure24 Alarm Systems
The chance of house fires in Chicago should never be discounted, but you can rest easier if you install a monitored fire alarm on hand. Contact Secure24 Alarm Systems, and we’ll help you place all the safety alarms you need with a cutting-edge home security system. Call (312) 319-8662 or submit the form below to get your home security system.